Ultracompact Valves for Microfluidic Applications
SMART VALVES AND MANIFOLDS
No more tubes and manual switching of valves with innovative Shape memory alloys (SMA) based smart valve technology developed German company "memetis".
Unique properties and advantages of the valves
- Very low power consumption (0.25 W / valve)
- Low internal volume (<4 µl/ valve)
- Small in size
- Media separated
- Silent operation, no switching noise (< 20 dB)
- Smooth operation omits shock waves
- Customizable design thanks to the proprietary layer structure (patentpending)
- Configurable fluidic pathways
- Various materials possible depending on the requirements
- Adjustable switching time
- Usable with different fluids
- Easy integration in the custom product
- Autoclavation is possible
Shape memory alloys (SMA)
Shape memory alloys are metallic alloys that can easily be deformed in the cold state but return to its pre-deformed ("remembered")memory shape when heated by electric current and thereby perform a movement (actuation). When cooled down, a new deformation can occur.
SMA actuation shows an exceptionally high power density in small dimensions in comparison to other actuation technologies.
Advantages of SMA based actuators comparing with solenoid based actuators
- Low power consumption and therefore low heating of the valve during operation
- Very small size and weight
- Silent operation
- Easy customization of the actuator to force requirement
- No stray magnetic fields impacting with application
2/2-way valve (monostable) - Normally open/ closed (NO/NC)
- Media-separated allrounder
- The very low internal volume of < 4 μl
- Pressure up to 2 bar
2/2-way valve (bistable)
- Ultra-power-saving valve
- Pressure up to 1 bar
3/4-way valve (monostable) - Normally open/ closed (NO/NC)
- Full flexibility for proportional mixing
- Pressure up to 3 bar
- High flow rate @ low pressure
- For gases only
- Suitable also for vacuum
Applications of valves
- Point of Care (POC) devices
- Diagnostics and Emergency Care devices
- Point of Need such as environmental analytics and field devices
- Organ on Chip including Cell Handling /Cell Sorting
- Flow Chemistry
- Mobile Dialysis
- Mobile Environmental Analysis
- Drug Development
Specification of normally closed 2/2 way seat valve
|Functionality||2/2-way seat valve, normally closed,media separated, controllable|
|Dimensions||20 x 5 x 8.5 mm³|
|Internal volume||< 4 µl|
|Nominal width DN||0.75 mm|
|Max. pressure @input||2.0 bar|
|Max. back-pressure @output||1.2 bar|
|Switching time: on / off||0.1 s / 0.2 s @ 1 bar*|
|Typical flow rates(@ Δp 1 bar)||3000 ml/min (air), 90 ml/min (water)|
|Kv value||> 0.007 m3/h|
|Temperature range||10 – 50 °C **|
|Lifetime||> 3 000 000 cycles|
|Housing material||PEEK ***|
|Sealing material||PDMS ***|
|Fluidic connection||Flange / M1.6 screws|
|Power consumption||0.3 W|
|Nominal current||0.5 A|
* depends on input pressure
** contact us for lower temperatures
*** contact us for other material requirements
Graph 1: Flow rate of a typical memetis 2/2-way NC valve for pressures of 0.05 bar up to 2.5 bar (input pressure) for air at room temperature with an open end.
Graph 2: Flow-rate is controllable by adjusting the applied electrical current. A current of 0.5 A corresponds to a power consumption of 0.3 W.
Complementary products to the valve
Customer-specific smart valve manifolds to enable easy operation of complex fluidic systems.
The ultracompact valves can be stacked together in a smart, portable manifold to control small fluidic pathways.
The valve controller enhances laboratory automation. The user-friendly electrical control unit, powered by USB-port, allows to control up to four memetis valves. The control includes adapter cables and is, on request only, available with a touch screen display.
Application-specific fluidics for bioreactors
The flow through the bioreactor is controlled by a valve manifold with 4 valves.
Number of process steps could be reduced with the valve manifold by 40%.