DNA Collection Kit : Oragene®•DISCOVER
Oragene® is a trademark of DNA Genotek Inc, Canada
Product name change notification (Oragene DNA)
In Japanese market, the product name and item number of Oragene DNA (OG-500 and OG-575) will be changed to Oragene Discover (OGR-500 and OGR-575) for research use from April 2019. The specification and the feature of Oragene Discover is same as Oragene DNA.
Oragene®-DISCOVER (OGR-500) can be easily taken the high quality of the DNA from saliva. It is only to collect the saliva, can be taken safely and easily DNA. It also can collect and storage saliva (DNA) samples at room temperature for a long term. Also it can be purified the DNA by using the Oragene purified solution.
This kit is suitable for clinical genetic research, inspection, incurable disease, not only the genetic patient to members of the researchers involved in the study cohort, including the relatives. We recommend people who is not satisfied with the amount of DNA from cells in the mouth and nails by the swab and hair roots, and have difficulties to obtain the agreement of the blood provides for DNA recovery to use this kits. It has been used for consulting services such as gene analysis because it can be safely used by all ages. Kyodo International is Japanese distributor of Oragene®-DISCOVER.
Features of DNA collection kit Oragene®-DISCOVER
- Improve donor care and compliance with painless, non-invasive sample collection. Easy to get donor's agreement for sample collection.
- Safe and easy to collect sample. It is easier to collect DNA sample from donors who do not want to give blood sample or is far from receivers.
- The median DNA yield from 2ml of saliva samples is 110ug. (There are individual differences in the amount of DNA.)
- All-in-one system for the collection, stabilization and transportation of DNA from saliva. The reagent for the purification is sold separately.
- The source of DNA is white blood cells and buccal epithelial cells. The small amount of bacterial DNA content in Oragene®-DISCOVER does not affect downstream applications
(PCR、SNPs Array、Micro Array、HLA Typing、NGS、Genome-wide association study.)
- Sample remains stable for years at room temperature, reducing transportation and storage costs. Long term storage at 4℃ is not recommended. Please store at ambient temperature or freeze.
- Please do not store Oragene tube in freezer. If store samples at lower temperature, please transfer the samples to appropriate tube like cryo tube etc.
- Improve donor care and compliance with painless, non-invasive sample collection.
- Sample remains stable for years at room temperature and collect enough amount of DNA and higher quality DNA.
- Research for clinical, incurable disease and cohort study.
- Consulting services such as gene analysis.
Collection method comparison
|Blood Collection||Oral Collection|
|Attributes||Venous blood||Buccal swabs||Mouthwash||Oragene®-DISCOVER(OGR-500)|
|Specimen stability at room temperature||Days||Days||Weeks||Years|
|Low bacterial content||✔||-
(up to 90% bacterial content)
(up to 60% bacterial content)
(median 11.8% bacterial content)
|Median DNA yield||30 µg / 1ml Blood||2 µg / Swab||35 µg / 10ml||110 µg / 2ml Saliva|
|Molecular weight||> 23kb||> 23kb||< 23kb||>23kb|
|Shipping at ambient temperature||-||✔||✔||✔|
Compared to collection methods, blood, buccal swab and mouthwash those are popular method in the world.
Oragene®-DISCOVER method is non-invasive method to collect DNA sample and store sample at room temperature for a long time.
Concerning a period of stability DNA at room temperature, Oragene®-DISCOVER allow to store DNA at room temperature for several years though conventional methods can store only for days or weeks.
It has been used successfully for DTC services which provided by IT companies, consumer-electronics makers, health food companies, cosmetic companies etc, Also it can be dropped into the post box to ship easier, so it would be suitable for genetics consulting service.
Sample collection method
Step1 Collect saliva
(1) Spit into funnel until the amount of liquid saliva (not bubbles) reaches the fill line shown in picture #1.
(2) Hold the tube upright with one hand. Close the funnel lid with the other hand (as shown) by firmly pushing the lid until you hear a loud click. The liquid in the lid will be released into the tube to mix with the saliva. Make sure that the lid is closed tightly.
(3) Hold the tube upright. Unscrew the funnel from the tube.
(4) Use the small cap to close the tube tightly.
(5) Shake the capped tube for 5 seconds. Discard or recycle the funnel.
RNA can be extracted by the 3rd party’s purification
Step 2 Storage & Stability
Step 3 DNA Purification
Oragene/saliva samples were collected and stored at
either room temperature (24℃), 37℃ or 50℃ for periods of time up to 187 days.
Agarose gel electrophoresis of DNA extracted from Oragene/saliva samples.
- Automatic purification equipment
Step4 Downstream Applications
Downstream Applications: Reference data
For assisted collection
Test for acetaldehyde dehydrogenase
Collect RNA from human saliva
Microbiome DNA/RNA collection kit
Microbiome DNA/RNA for gum, plaque and tongue
Collect superior samples for microbial nucleic acids
Collect microbiome DNA from feces
Collect the mucus from mouth or nasal or vagina of animals, can be taken safely and easily DNA.
Easily self-collect a high quality sample from animals rapidly homogenize and stabilize at the point of collection.
Stabilization of DNA from blood
- 分類が複数ある場合は、| ←半角の縦棒で区切って連続で入力してください。
|分野||Drug discovery|Cancer|Pediatrics|Epidemiological cohort study|Psychiatry|Infection disease|Personalized medicine|Disease prevention|Genomics|Biomarker|Epigenome|Bioinformatics|
|説明文||Collect superior DNA samples from saliva for your genetic research|